What is Jeff Bezos’ net worth? If you have this question in your mind, then you’ve come to the right place.
|Net Worth||$116.20 Billion|
|Known for||Amazon, Blue Origin|
|Position||Founder, President & CEO: Amazon|
Jeff Bezos is the CEO of Amazon, the biggest e-commerce company in the world. He started Amazon in 1994, as an online book store but it has now grown to become one of the biggest companies in the world. This growth helped him achieve the title of richest person in the world, and even after his divorce with MacKenzie Bezos, (he lost about $36 Billion in the divorce) he ranks no. 1 in the list of Richest people in the world. As of 2020 Jeff Bezos’ net worth is estimated to be about $116.20 Billion.
Jeff Bezos’ early life and education
Jeff Bezos was born on January 12, 1964, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His mom got divorced in his early childhood, but later married Miguel Bezos. The family moved to Houston, Texas after Miguel got a job as an engineer at Exxon.
Jeff Bezos’ maternal grandfather was a regional director of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission in Albuquerque. He had retired early to his family ranch near Cotulla, Texas where young Jeff spent most of his summers.
Bezos attended River Oaks Elementary school till 6th grade and Miami Palmetto High School thereafter. In 1986, he graduated from Princeton University with a 4.2 GPA and Bachelor of Science degrees in electrical engineering and computer science.
With such a good performance in College Jeff Bezos was offered job positions at Intel, Bell Labs, and other big companies, but he refused and instead joined a fin-tech telecommunications startup called Fitel. A few years later he switched to the banking industry and later joined a newly founded Hedge fund called D. E. Shaw & Co. While working there he realized that the usage of the internet was growing very rapidly.
To tap into the growing numbers of Internet users Jeff visualised a business plan that made sense. He created a list of 20 different items that could be sold online. Out of all the items on his list, ‘books’ had the largest number of items. So, he decided that it was the best thing to sell online first. Then, later he expanded and started selling other things as well.
- Born: 1964
- Graduated and joined Fitel: 1986
- Joined Bankers Trust: 1988
- Joined D. E. Shaw & Co.: 1990
- Founded Amazon.com: 1994
- Amazon IPO: 1997
- Invested in Google: 1998
- Founded Blue Origin (A Space exploration company): 2000
- Started Amazon Web Services, and Prime Subscriptions: 2006
- Launched Kindle: 2007
- Launched Amazon Studio: 2010
- Bought Washington Post: 2013
- Became the richest person in the world: 2018
- Divorced MacKenzie Bezos: 2019
Success Lessons from Jeff Bezos
- There’s always going to be risks – Jeff Bezos knew that the Amazon.com experiment could fail. But, he wanted to work on his ‘regret minimisation framework’, hence he decided to go ahead with his idea.
- Build for the customer not competitor – I’m not asking anyone to ignore their competitors completely. But, focusing on customers first allows the company to create products and services that are loved by their customers.
- Think long term – Amazon played the long game from the beginning itself and that allowed them to eradicate their competitors while also ensuring customer satisfaction. A similar approach was taken by Reliance Jio which is currently India’s largest telecom company.
He had always planned to expand to sell other products but he started with what he thought was the best thing to start with, ‘books’.
Here’s a 1997 interview video of Jeff Bezos:
Who knew that after 21 years this man would become the richest person on earth?
Hope we answered your question regarding Jeff Bezos’ Net Worth among others…
Tell us what you think about this article and whether it helped you learn something new in the comments section below.